Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Car time and technology

I am going to take my sister's recent blog post and add my own comments. :)

As my sister mentioned, conversations in the car can be a beautiful, beautiful thing! My children have talked to me about things that I know they would never ask me in settings other than in the car. The car allows a bit of "space" and "anonymity." I can't look directly at them while I am driving. Perhaps there is a feeling of less judgement. I don't really know the cause, but I do see the blessing. Some of my most treasured time with my children, especially my older children, is time we are able to talk freely, one-on-one. It is like God is giving me an opportunity to stay close with my children through these pre-teen (and beyond?) years. I would be a fool to not grab that chance!

It saddens me to see dvd players going in cars so much of the time. I understand the potential value for long trips. (I say potential value, because we did a 700+ mile trip, just 6 kids and me with no dvd this summer, it was fine.) But it seems that many parents are allowing the dvd player to play anytime the kids are in the car. Even when they run through the drive thru for dinner. Not only is there a lost opportunity now - the kids are staring at a tv and not talking to their parents, but kids are learning that parents would rather keep them quiet and glued to a tv then to talk to them (kids). When the big things come up, are the kids going to feel that they can come to their parents? Relationships take years of building. Don't waste the chances God puts in front of you!

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely! It absolutely drives me insane that a family can climb into a vehicle and have a DVD player to drive home from church, school and etc. Really?! Are your family members that boring that you have to turn on an entertainment device?

    And I think DVD players for "long trips" is hogwash. My children have traveled from here to MI almost every summer since they were infants. Did we have trying times? Yes. However, most of the time it was when they were infants. Now as we drive along the road, the kids notice things and are actively involved in seeking out different parts of the landscape. Do we really want our kids missing things like that.

    Finally, when my in laws were last in town, they took my son swimming with them at their hotel. They got lost on their way back to our house and our oldest son actually told them how to get back to our home. Why? Because he is always in the back paying attention to what roads we take to get different places. Seems to me that not having a DVD player in my van may have its advantages after all.

    ReplyDelete