Thursday, November 12, 2009

The doctor hesitation?

Perhaps it is my fear that I will be viewed as a hypochondriac, or that I am making something of nothing, or that it really is something... I don't know why, but getting me to do anything at the doctor other than a standard annual exam, well, it just doesn't happen. Note, that I do not have this issue with taking my kids in, just me. I adore my doctor, she delivered 4 of our children.

I have a doctor appointment today, standard annual of course. I scheduled it knowing that I would never schedule an appointment about the shoulder that hurts nearly constantly for 4+ months, or the the hair loss I have been experiencing or that I can't seem to lose weight no matter my food intake and exercise level, or my mood swings/depression. Or any of the new things that are going on, pains here and there, etc. I keep thinking I am getting older and there are just aches and pains with getting older. If a friend told me about constant shoulder pain I would tell her to get to the doctor. If a friend told me that suddenly instead of being 28 day cycles she has moved to 21 day or less cycles, I would tell her to check it out. If she told me about cramping and pain not associated with cycles or anything else she could define, I would tell her to go to the doctor. So why can't I take my own advice?

I scheduled myself an annual exam with the hopes that I might actually talk to my doctor about some of these things. Honestly, I still don't know if I really will. When the doctor asks me how I am feeling I will probably tell her "good." My husband has the opposite problem, when work asks if he has any questions for them, they are expecting "nope." Mentally, they are already onto their next item for the day, they don't expect a "actually, yes." But my hubby fought every natural instinct the other day at his review and said "nope." If he can say nope, then maybe, just maybe I can actually tell my doctor about some of the things going on with me.

"We shall see, we shall see..."

1 comment:

  1. Just a note about the shoulder pain: when I had such pain, it turned out to be a collapsed vertabrate. My guess is that it is not that for you but honestly, our bodies give us odd signals that something is not right. Glad you're having it checked out and I hope that you got some answers to your questions. Praying for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete