Sunday, November 29, 2009

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family. I hope you did also! We were invited to spend the day with Steve's brother's sister-in-law. Confused? LOL. It probably isn't "normal" but our family does spend a good bit of time with my sister-in-law's family. They are a wonderful group of people. Good food, good conversation, just plain good. :)

So, I have been pretty quiet lately. I have been almost entirely consumed with finding a different vehicle for myself. We have known for a couple months that my Grand Caravan was going to need replaced in the next year or so. We were continuing to hope that we could hold off until our "old" house sold. When it started looking like we might have to replace the van before selling the house we started thinking interim vehicle. You know, something to get me by until we could buy what I want. We were hoping to find something in the 5-7 thousand dollar range. Um, that would be TOTALLY doable if I only needed a 4 or 5 passenger vehicle. But, I need an 8 passenger, or at the very least a 7 passenger -- leaving us to drive separate cars everywhere, not the most desirable.

When we started looking we quickly realized that a vehicle big enough for us is not available in the 5-7k range. The few that we did find had more miles and were older than my current van. A little less than a desirable idea.

Ok, new plan. Bump hoped for price range and get an used vehicle that we plan to keep "forever" (you know, until it dies, like we have this caravan). I quickly realized that there are only two true options if I don't want to go to a hongo van - which I don't. The Toyota Sienna and the Honda Oddessy. Yes, there are a handful of SUVs on the market that seat 8, but they are lower gas mileage and higher initial cost. Since I don't need the features of an SUV, not to mention that getting kids into the 3rd seat requires some doing in an SUV we decided not to look seriously in that direction. I really like both vans, but like the Sienna a bit better. The main pros: they sell for a couple thousand less and Steve drives a Prius. What this means is that our controls would be basically the same. So, after driving his car, I wouldn't get into my van and turn on the windshield wipers instead of the lights.

I have spend HOURS, literally, online looking for vans that would fit our needs. But I was still conflicted. I mean to get a Sienna we are basically doubling our hoped for expenditure for a different vehicle. So, maybe I should get another old Caravan and pop my bench in for the captains. I can get a decent used Caravan for 10ish. Steve isn't a big fan of the idea - a little to redneck, even for him. LOL. But, I realize there is a flaw in my idea. Dodge started using "stow and go" seats in 2005. That means I have to look at an '04 or older. Hmm, looking less desirable again.

So, now the hunt is on for the "right" Sienna for the Crew.

1 comment:

  1. Not that you would ever sell a Sienna once you had it, but the re-sell value on Sienna's is a lot nicer than a caravan. :D Toyota is a great car. We love our Camry as it has 125,000 miles on it. It has more miles than our Caravan and sounds like it is brand new! Plan to drive it 100,000+ more too!

    ReplyDelete