Sunday, November 8, 2009

I have the world's best friend!

I have had the same best friend for over twenty years! Yes, over 20 YEARS. She is awesome!

We of course have had our rough spots over the years. We have both been a little flaky in places. But considering that our friendship started in high school, that really is to be expected. There were times were one or both of us chose the guy we wanted in the moment over each other. I still kick myself for not being there for her when both her brother and her first real love, were fighting for the United States in Desert Storm. You know, the first Gulf War, the one we are having a second go at finishing now. Through all our rough spots, we have always found our way back to each other. I Y "Betty"! She gets me like no one else does, it is like we are two halves of the same person sometimes. I only hope I have been as good a friend to her as she has to me!

Betty and I live in different states. We are not able to see each other all that often. Even our phone conversations are somewhat sporadic. We both have children, spouses, and the activities that come with both. She also has a full time job. All of this means that we don't talk often but when we get a chance to catch up we might be on the phone for an hour or more. Anyone who knows me, and knows that I HATE, HATE, HATE phones - so a phone conversation over 5 minutes is huge for me. LOL.

This weekend Betty and I were able to talk for a bit. You may have noticed a passing comment here or there about my husband's long work hours. It is not all choice on his part to work such crazy hours. There are work politics no matter where you work. He sometimes shares some of his frustrations with me. Usually, work frustrations are just that, but the love of my life discovered some questionable things some of his superiors have been doing to him. My husband is probably THE most ethical man on this planet - seriously (but don't mistake ethical for religious!). The things he discovered directly impact me and our kids; they cause my husband to work under false restrictions, which leads to more time away from the kids and I. As I was outlining the basic happenings to Betty, she says "Then of course you don't want to tell him about the things at home and add to his stress." BINGO! Yes, absolutely! She so gets me!

This is just my public thanking of God for putting Betty in my life! Y

No comments:

Post a Comment