Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Still so much to learn

I've said before, I am an awesome mom. It's true. But, there is still much room for improvement too. Yesterday I was graciously given a learning moment.

I was at Merce's preschool early due to show-and-tell day. Instead of leaving and coming back 30 minutes later, Rita and I stayed with the class. We sat in on the story time. I was looking forward to hearing Miss Melinda read. She has mentioned before that she loves reading aloud to kids. Her storytelling was enjoyable, but what was remarkable was her word usage.

One of the youngsters was having trouble sitting still. He ended up stepping on the hand of another student. She yelled "OW!" He shushed her. Miss Melinda calmly explains that "Your boots stepped on her hand, she said 'ow' because it hurt." How awesome is that?!? I might have said "You stepped on her hand." Which would, of course lead to "No, I didn't!" Removing the person from act by saying "shoes" instead of "you" addressed the problem without bringing out the immediate defensive responses.

Little lessons taught. :) I am looking forward to seeing this work in my own household!

2 comments:

  1. Add me to the "I learned something today about parenting" group. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like this woman has taken love and logic classes before. (?) And for the record, you are an awesome mom.

    ReplyDelete