Friday, January 8, 2010

Saving money with reusable shopping bags!


Reusable/cloth bags are a wonderful idea, not only for an environmentally conscience person like myself, but also for the store. They get to be an environmental hero, touting saving resources while also saving themselves some money (and hopefully passing the savings on to the consumer, we'll get to that in a minute). I worked for Kmart in my late teens and early twenties. At every store I worked at there was a bulletin board of bags on the wall in the break room. Each bag had a number on it. This was how much money each bag cost the store. The average size Kmart bag was $0.004 (or 4/10 of a cent). This was in the late 1980's. Now that doesn't seem like a lot - but it can add up quickly for the store.

The first store I saw selling reusable bags? Target. They are still the bags I like the best! They are ROOMY (as you can see... that is my 3 yr old, who weighs in at 35lbs sitting in the bag). Now, I am getting "paid" to use my reusable bags at two of the stores I shop at frequently. Target scans a coupon for 5 cents off for using reusable bags instead of a plastic bag. And now CVS has a green bag tag program. In a nutshell, you buy their tag for 99c. Each time you use a reusable bag, they scan your tag along with your CVS card. After 4 visits your a credited a $1 CVS buck. That is like getting 25c off each time you reuse a bag. It only takes 4 visits to pay for the tag, then it is equal to a 25c coupon every time you use your tag. I like it. :)

I am not currently affliated with any of the above companies, except as a customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment