Sunday, January 17, 2010

What might have been-


Several years back when living in Wyoming I saw the movie Sliding Doors. The idea of a parallel universe has always intrigued me. There are so many times when you are presented with a decision, or set of decisions, that lead your life down a certain road. Take a different path and the end result might be quite different!

The other week we had my daughter's birthday party at the local roller skating rink. The kids had a great time, mom had a great time, and got in some much needed exercise. She also got a glimpse of what might have been - and it scared the heck out of her!

I grew up, well, white trash. My parents would never admit it, but we were. They didn't drink or do drugs or even smoke (in our presence anyway, but that is another post entirely.) But we were poor, very, very poor. It was not unusual for dad to "fix" things in ways that only a true-redneck could even consider. We are talking even lower than using duct tape for everything - duct tape was too expensive. Mom and I called it Jerry-rigging (dad's first name is Jerry.)

In my teen years I fell very easily in with group of people who smoked, drank, and most did drugs too. I don't mean the popular kids who partied and smoked, I mean the derelicts who were never going to get out of that one horse town. The ones that were going to be flipping burgers and pumping gas for a living. I did indeed have fun.

Fast forward to now, I went to college, met my hubby who got an engineering degree and later a law degree. We have six children and lead an upper middle-class life. We are no longer wondering week to week if we will be able to pay the bills that come our way. It's all good.

So, we are at the skating rink, some of the other skaters that day were the local counterpart to the group I hung with in high school. You know the type (see picture above and think just a smidge scruffier.) And it hit me, I coulda been the "old lady" to one of those guys. Yep, it scared me. LOL.

How'd ya like that glimse into my mind. hahahahaha. And sis, no tellin' anyone who that pic is! ;) Says a lil' sumtin though don't it?

1 comment:

  1. ROFL. First off, the fact that your labels are parrell universe, redneck, skating rink, Sliding Doors, and white trash, this is a MUST READ! Second, I always referred to us as living on the "other side of the tracks." Third, J&S must've moved up from trailer trash b/c now she insists that they at least have someone look at what needs to be done first. Forth, OMG! I seriously did a double take of your choice of selection for the photo op, but yes, it does...er..um...say quite a bit. The phrase "a picture is worth a thousand words" fits quite well here... :)

    ReplyDelete