Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The decorations are down and today

we celebrate the 7th birthday of my third child! Since her birthday falls so close to Christmas, I try really hard to make sure the decorations are down before her bday. But today, here, I thought I would tell you a little bit about her introduction into this crazy world of ours.

I took the tree down on the 26th that year. My due date was the 28th and I wanted to make sure the tree was down before I went to the hospital because I knew no one would do it while I was gone. During those days Steve's brother Ken was living with us. He had just gotten a job and was getting on his feet. Joan had just delivered the twins on Dec. 23rd. So I had asked my sister to come stay with us during her college break to watch the kids while I was in the hospital. Yes, it was a crowded 3 bedroom trailer! 4 adults, 2 kids and a babe on the way!

It was looking like my baby girl would not be born in 2002. My body just does not like to be timely. Left to it's own resources, it will be a week or more late. I was huge, uncomfortable and a little bit disappointed that Joan had her babies (that were due a week after Jes) and I was still waddling around with no signs. Call it hormones. LOL.

On the 30th I had a regular checkup. I am sure I looked miserable, but I bet what my doc really had in mind was making sure she didn't get called in on New Years. She asked if I wanted to be induced. OH YEAH! We went home, got the bag and told my sister. We went to the hospital. I was hooked up to pitocin and we got started. Jes's heartrate kept dropping during contractions, but it would rebound as soon as the contraction was over. Steve was staring at the darn machines with a very worried look on his face. I told him that was less than helpful, but still he persisted. Finally I realized I had forgotten the cameras. I told him to go get the cameras. He accused me of wanting him to stop staring at the monitors - well yeah, but I did forget the cameras.

Not 10 minutes later I was complete. I told the doctor I wanted to wait for Steve. Called him and told him to get on over. Jes's heartbeat quit rebounding and my doctor said we had to deliver NOW. Steve walked in just as Jes was being born. A lovely site I am sure since a white plunger needed to be used to get my baby out quickly enough. The only delivery of 6 that he saw from the foot end. LOL.

He had brought Brandy and Josh with him and they were in the waiting room. He went to get them while Jes was cleaned up and weighed. She had just been set into my arms when the other kids came in. Josh's first words were "Where's the other one?" (remember Aunt Joan had 2 babies just a week earlier) and Brandy climbed up into my lap, leaned over and kissed her forehead. Brandy was the first person to kiss Jes. <3

Through all of the pregnancy with Jessica I swore up and down, sideways and backwards that three was it. As I stared down into her beautiful little face with a mass of dark hair and brown eyes, yes she was BORN with brown eyes, I said "I could do this again."

Happy Birthday JessiCA! I love you!!!

1 comment: