Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Sometimes I think I might be too hard on my kids...

Monday afternoon Josh left his lunch bag on the bus. I asked him this afternoon if he asked his driver if a lunch bag was found. He hadn't asked. I told him to ask tomorrow. He starts crying and telling me that he doesn't want to, he is shy. Ok. I understand being shy. "If you aren't willing to ask the driver, then I need you to pay the replacement cost of the bag and the two sandwich boxes that were in there. That will be about $10." He tells me he doesn't want to pay for the bag and boxes. Ok, ask your driver. He doesn't want to do that either. The way he was crying you would think I was really ripping him a new one. NOT the case. I am not upset, no raised voices, no threats. I know things get left behind on occasion. I just want him to take responsibility and attempt to locate his bag, or replace it.

I drop it and send him off to bed. I ask Steve if I am being too hard on Josh. Is it asking too much to have him pay replacement cost if he won't ask his driver about it? Steve gets Josh up and starts talking to him about the family he saw huddled in blankets in downtown Indy the other day and how they have REAL problems. How Josh's big problem is whether to ask the driver about his bag or pay for it. "Yeah, real tough life."

Well, I might be too hard on my kids, but apparently my hubby and I are on the same page anyway. ;-P Besides, if you set high expectations, kids will strive to live up to them.

Update: I saw Josh pause and talk to the driver as he got on the bus this morning. The driver appeared to reach down and hand something to Josh. I suspect he has his bag back. All that drama for less than 30 seconds of talking to the driver. LOL.

1 comment:

  1. I have to commend you for making him take responsibility. I know far too many parents that would have talked to the driver themselves or just replaced it. I DO NOT think you are being too hard on your kids. And fyi, those were great choice you gave him. Apparently he just needed to go through in his mind which one was most beneficial... :D

    ReplyDelete