Sunday, December 13, 2009

How many times is too many?

I frequently grapple with this question. I "expect" my kids to respond the first time a request is made by my husband or myself. However, I do realize that is a highly ambitious expectation. In general I find that I will ask nicely the first time, repeat the request and the third time, I start raising the volume. Baseball and California have three strikes and you're out rules, right? And, for the benefit of my mother-in-law, three is a Biblical number. Tonight I found myself telling my darling Bekki "get in bed" five times... all nicely I might add. So, time six I not only raised my voice, I actually yelled. Yes, I did. She immediately went to tears.

While I feel bad that I can make my daughter cry by just yelling at her - I wonder why she doesn't yet realize that if she doesn't respond to nicely phrased requests that I will escalate into a not nice command.

No comments:

Post a Comment