Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I love technology!

My phone buzzed with a text message at 6:00 am this morning. It was the school's automated system telling me that school was on a two hour delay. It buzzed again around 6:30 telling me that the school status had changed to cancelled.

I love that our school district started this automated system! I don't have to get up and check the computer to see what the status is. And I have finally gotten smart and didn't set the kids alarms last night! I figured if school was a go, I would just wake 'em up myself.

This system allowed me at least an extra hour of sleep this morning. Technology is BEAUTIFUL! :) Now if we could just convince the district to build in more than just 2 snow days in a school year. We are already at 4 and I expect that we will be out tomorrow as well. Though, IMHO, it should not have been called last Friday! I think they were a little trigger happy in the Super's office. Admittedly, it might be due to the bus that flipped in the ditch a couple weeks ago. -- Yes, one of our district buses, in fact one that goes to my kids school, the one they rode last year even. Luckily, no one was seriously injured. One gal had a suspected broken arm and one boy had a nasty looking scrape - otherwise everyone was fine.

Didn't we have alternate routes when we were kids? Couldn't we do something like that here? And what happened to 1 hour delays? Our district jumps right to 2 hr delays. I know, I know, I have so many complaints maybe I should join the board... maybe I should. LOL.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you on the 1 hour delays. I think those are a thing of the past (?) but have noticed that our public school gets out an hour early on Mondays. (? Really not sure what that is about???)

    While you're having snow days, we are ON TIME when we need a delay because the roads are crap... perhaps our sups. need to have a meeting of the minds to find middle ground.

    ReplyDelete