Friday, February 19, 2010

N E E D more water!

As I probably have mentioned, I have joined my sister in the goal of becoming healthier in 2010. This involves eating better for me foods, proper portion sizes, exercising more and... drinking more water.

I have known for a long time that water consumption is one of my biggest failure points when it comes to my health. But, I hate water. There is no flavor, no fizz, all blah. I have noticed that when I have a bottle of water I will drink the whole bottle, but if I fill a glass it sits half full.

So I began a search for a "good" water bottle. My definition of good may very well be different than most people. For me a reusable water bottle MUST 1) be dishwasher safe 2) not have a metallic taste 3) look and feel like my soda bottle. Bonus points if it has colors or cool designs. This means at least half of the aluminum and stainless steel models were immediately discarded. Nearly all of them have a much wider mouth than a soda bottle. Sigg might be the right size opening, but a)they recommend against dishwashing b) I admit being a bit turned off by the price ($22 locally) and c) I knew that I would find that type of screw top annoying - it needs to have the soda bottle feel. LOL. Ok. Off to google searches on the internet...

I came across this baby. Hey, it looks like a soda bottle, it has fun colors, it opens the way I would like, it is dishwasher safe... LOOKING GOOD. OH! The price!

After looking around for other bottles that had the look I wanted and failing. And looking for other sites that might sell good life cheaper - and failing. I went ahead and ordered two. "Two?" you say. Yes, two. I know that I am more likely to grab a full bottle than to fill a bottle, and I need to wash them sometime, so enough for a rotation is good. Besides, shipping was the same for one or two bottles.

I received these bottles earlier this week. At first I was a little disappointed in its size. It was much bigger than I was expecting. As you can see from the picture though that the outside dimensions are only slightly bigger than the 24oz sodas that I regularly drink. The mouth is only very slightly larger than a plastic bottle. Ok. I washed them up (note that the lids are not dishwasher safe, only the bottles) and tried them out. I love them!

My water intake has at least doubled since buying these bottles. I have left a bottle on the counter over night and the next morning the water was still quite cool. I have left a bottle in the fridge for 24hours, no metal taste. Yep. These are a win. Well worth the price.

I do have to say though for a company that claims (and I quote) "...By purchasing this Good Life bottle, you have already pitched in against destroying our eco-system. 38 million un-recycled plastic bottles are carelessly tossed into America's landfills each year. Keep doing your part so we can all live the Good Life." They sure don't life up to their claims when it comes to packaging the product for shipping: Yes, those really are styrofoam packing peanuts.
UPDATE!
I emailed my concerns regarding packaging to goodlifebottles. I have already received feedback! "Thank you for the positive review regarding our bottles on your blog. I personally addressed the packaging comment with the president of the company & we are now using organic, biodegradable peanuts for packing =) & recycled cardboard." WHOO HOO HOO! A company that listens to the concerns of it's customers AND responds - quite promptly, I might add!

1 comment: